CloudCasa by Catalogic and Ondat have joined forces to offer customers a combined solution stack to run and manage stateful applications on Kubernetes and provide best-of-breed performance, availability, data protection and recovery. In this episode of TFiR: Let’s Talk, Swapnil Bhartiya sits down with the executives of both companies, CloudCasa COO Sathya Sankaran and Ondat CEO Richard Olver, to talk about their partnership.
About the Partnership
CloudCasa and Ondat have been active in the ecosystem for some time working with the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) with the goal of being open and integrated with a variety of different platforms and different Kubernetes providers. The two companies have achieved certified integration and are now collaborating on a joint go-to-market.
Ondat enables customers to run stateful applications at scale. To maintain a state, users need to have great storage, high availability, and great performance, along with good backups, which is what CloudCasa provides. The combined CloudCasa and Ondat bundle gives customers and partners a unified solution to run stateful applications on Kubernetes without worrying about availability, performance, protection, or the recovery of data. Kubernetes users can reduce their data services cost by 50% using CloudCasa and Ondat, and channel partners benefit from delivering this solution.
Benefits of the Bundled Offering
One of the primary drivers for moving data into Kubernetes is to reduce cost. Companies are moving away from managed database offerings and legacy systems into Kubernetes to run their applications more efficiently, in a cloud native way – on-premises, cloud, or hybrid. The main benefits of this joint solution are –
- CloudCasa and Ondat collectively put together an integrated offering with joint documentation to help the platform engineers adopt the solution quite easily. To lower the barrier to entry, the two companies have released a joint freemium offering that allows developers to use this solution at no cost and then grow through consumption.
- Richard shares that on the storage side of the ecosystem, there is an increasing number of critical workloads, including financial and telecommunications, moving into Kubernetes. The more critical the workload, the more important it is to have good backup and recovery. Ondat provides a breadth of Kubernetes integrations independent of the underlying storage provider and CloudCasa supports a variety of storage backup needs, avoiding vendor lock-in for customer
- Even though Kubernetes’ lineage is all about stateless applications, CNCF surveys indicate that stateful applications are growing at an even faster rate than people adopting Kubernetes itself. This is because businesses need to run stateful applications after moving into production. Storage and data protection are essential services to enable those stateful mission-critical applications to run.
- One of the unique values of this collective offering, is the ability to help the engineers, the person on the coalface, to solve these problems quickly and efficiently, and serve them as a service type offering, and predominately by self-service.
- This offering also gives channel partners and resellers additional incentives and benefits for new opportunities.
Best of Breed Offering
According to the Architecting IT benchmark comparison report by the independent analyst Chris Evans, Ondat delivered the most efficient performance for throughput and latency, with over 30% performance advantage over other solutions in the market. Ondat has been designed from the ground up to be container native. So, from application to disk, Ondat takes a single threaded approach and gets the low latency performance. It is platform-independent and has no kernel modules that add complexity in terms of data operations.
GigaOm Radar named CloudCasa a 2023 Leader and Outperformer for Kubernetes data protection. Sathya mentions that CloudCasa has added support for all three big cloud providers EKS, AKS, and GKE. A huge differentiation for CloudCasa is the ability to spin up clusters in a full stack with all of the cloud configurations and everything intact. CloudCasa can handle VPC configurations, load balancers, ingress controllers, node ports with storage classes, and more.
Why Choose CloudCasa and Ondat Bundle vs. Other Solutions in the Market?
The bundle has some compelling incentives to customers willing to switch and migrate across to CloudCasa and Ondat Offering. The combined solution is unique compared to other solutions in the market today.
- Both CloudCasa and Ondat are Kubernetes experts and that’s what makes this combined solution unique. CloudCasa and Ondat together are Kubernetes experts that cater to the needs of developers, platform engineers, and DevOps engineers with the best of breed storage and backup solution.
- The other solutions in the market, such as Portworx, are quite expensive. Having a joint freemium offering allows developers to use CloudCasa and Ondat solution at no cost and then grow through consumption. This storage and backup consumption-based model for applications on Kubernetes is available at a lower entry price point (50% off) and lower TCO to deliver and manage.
- Sathya discusses that there is no vendor lock-in when customers go with a model like this and gives flexibility down the road. With no lock-ins or increased switching cost, this partnership is built in a way that customers can continue with the solution for a fraction of the cost of a Portworx solution.
CloudCasa and Ondat bring you the best-of-breed solution for your Kubernetes stateful applications. The offering has the modernized cloud agnostic framework, and delivers, best of breed recovery options for customers. You can find additional information about the new bundled offering for channel partners at https://cloudcasa.io/partners/ondat/portworx-promotion while customer information at https://www.ondat.io/cloudcasa-ondat.